Re: [compositing-1] please move non-separable effects to Level 2

On 18 Apr 2014, at 10:15 pm, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 12:55 PM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:
> So you’re objecting to a subset of features being removed that you haven’t shipped, have not announced any plans to support,
>
> The full set of operators is implemented in Gecko and I don't see any barriers to enabling them in release builds. We don't have compositor support, which means some use-cases would be slow, but I think most use-cases won't be affected by that and everything should work.

We support them in software mode too, just not in compositing mode. Since we don’t want to have blending disappear if an element becomes composited (99.9% of developers would not be able to explain all the cases in which this could happen), we’d only ship an implementation that supports them everywhere.

So this is our implementation feedback, which I think is one of the main reasons for CR. If other implementers disagree and they remain in the spec, then ok. It would be nice to know how much usage these modes see in tools, or what effects will be impossible on the Web without them.

Dean