Re: [css-compositing] Request to move Compositing and Blending spec to CR

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 9:24 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I agree with James. Having the spec define behavior that is never used
>>> by any Web feature is very confusing.
>>>
>>> Section 4 is not really needed at all since the HTML5 canvas spec
>>> defines the canvas compositing behavior.
>>>

>> Can you point where that is defined in the canvas spec?
>>

> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-canvas-element.html#drawing-model

yes, that doesn't describe how you do the compositing. is it
'clip-to-self', or the bounds of the drawing bitmap, or infinite bounds?

>>> If you want the Compositing and Blending spec to define new compositing
>>> modes for canvas, then define a list of operators that the HTML canvas spec
>>> can refer to, but don't define globalCompositeOperation here. Don't even
>>> mention canvas here.
>>>

>> It's needed because the canvas spec doesn't say anything about how
>> compositing should happen.
>> I don't want to break canvas by removing this.
>>

> All you need to define for canvas is the per-pixel compositing behavior.

No. What if there are no pixels (ie with 'clear'), you'd still want to
clear that area.

>>  Another very important reason is also that if this property/behavior is
>>>>

>>> Describing something in a W3C spec that is not actually used by any
>>> features in that spec, just so we can get the patent policy to apply to it,
>>> borders on bad faith.
>>>

>> It *is* being used.
>>

> Where? Pointing to "clip to self" saying "don't do this" does not
> constitute a use.
>

>> Also, future spec might want to refer to this. Another example is the
>> proposal for masking in canvas which has an option for clip-to-self. It
>> would be unfortunate that we would have to rev the compositing spec to
>> progress canvas or filters.
>>

> If a future spec will use it, the future spec can define it.

No, we want to avoid defining the same thing over and over again. Filters,
blending, canvas, masking all need to build on a common model.
This is why we did the compositing and blending spec in the first place:
harmonize the different specs.

> Any use of clip-to-self will have to define what the clip-to-self region
> is for each drawing operation, which is not necessarily easy to do. It
> certainly shouldn't be done by saying the clip-to-self region is where
> alpha > 0, for the reasons James pointed out near the beginning of this
> thread.

That is not what the spec says. clip-to-self=true works on the shape of the
element which is independent of its alpha.