Re: [css-images][css-compositing] Blurring an element’s backdrop

On 29/11/2013 5:35 PM, Lea Verou wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2013, at 12:45, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This might work. My main concern is that it would overload
>> mix-blend-mode too much since we're also hoping to repurpose it to
>> blend different areas of an element. I'm unsure how we would
>> reconcile that. Do you have a suggestion?
>
> If the syntax for that is what was discussed in the FXTF a while ago,
> I don’t see what the conflict would be. Care to elaborate? :)
>
> ~Lea

 From what I have gathered from this thread, it not the syntax but
rather how do you blur a backdrop if the filter causes isolation
(staking context) and how does this blur less as you go outwards from a
given element.

Take this demo where it animates both opacity and a blur together. Only
works in Chrome.

http://css-class.com/test/css/3/filter/blur-opacity-cross-fade.htm

What would or should happen over a non uniform backdrop (currently just
a background colour of black) when we have opacity(0%) and blur(1em)?

Chrome itself is not following the spec since when opacity has a value
of '1', there should not be a stacking context but if it did not
disobeyed the spec, it would animate strange. Anyway, the bug is not
present in this demo since the images are absolutely positioned.

Alan

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/