Re: [css-images][css-compositing] Blurring an element’s backdrop

First off, I'm very glad to see discussion on this. It’s something the author community has been needing for a long time.

From an author perspective, I was wondering, can't this be a sort of special blending mode? Perhaps something like:

mix-blend-mode: filter(...);

Introducing a separate property futher complicates the mental model required. I know it's not exactly a blending mode, but as far as authors are concerned, this is an implementation detail. For most authors, blending mode = manipulating the backdrop, and this fits that description.

~Lea