Re: [web-animations] Simplifying timing groups

On Aug 8, 2013, at 8:30 AM, Brian Birtles <bbirtles@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Hi Shane,
>
> Thanks for your response. I'll follow up below.
>
> (2013/08/08 13:32), Shane Stephens wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Brian Birtles <bbirtles@mozilla.com
>> <mailto:bbirtles@mozilla.com>> wrote:
>>    i. It means you can't convert from an animation's local time to the
>>    corresponding document time since timing functions are not always
>>    invertible. This introduces all sorts of complexity. For example,
>>    for event handling to report both a local time and document time for
>>    an event we have introduced uneased timing[1] which is not
>>    well-liked and as an alternative we have considered some fairly
>>    arbitrary approximations.
>>

>> I think this is a misrepresentation. Every observable animation start,
>> end and iteration change has an exact corresponding document time. These
>> times are in general derivable from the timing functions.
>
> I think it's reasonably complex.
>
> For example, in Gecko when we evaluate cubic bezier timing functions we
> approximate the curve with straight-line segments to find the t for a
> given x. If we go in reverse where a given y may have multiple t's, we
> can't rely on a table of fixed chord lengths since they may obscure some
> crossings of a given y. I think it could be challenging to define this
> in a way that is consistently implemented and performant if we allow
> arbitrary timing functions. We could probably do something reasonable
> for a restricted set of timing functions though.
>
> Another example of complexity is stepped timing functions where we have
> to be careful how we define which x to return for a given y since a
> single input may map to a whole range of outputs. I think the 'correct'
> answer will depend on a number of factors, possibly the type of event to
> be dispatched or the playback direction.
>
> So I think, while probably solveable, it's complex enough to defer to a
> later stage.

I agree with Brian that the complexity makes it reasonable to eliminate or at least defer this feature. As more complexity you have, as harder it gets to guarantee real time behavior for animations in browsers. And I think this is one of the mayor goals of the new model.

Greetings,
Dirk