Re: Utility of background-composite and background-blend-mode?

From: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 09:55:21 -0700
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Cc: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>, "robert@ocallahan.org" <robert@ocallahan.org>, "public-fx@w3.org" <public-fx@w3.org>
On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 9:19 AM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 2013-03-14 05:44 -0700, Dirk Schulze wrote:
> > No, not WebKit's rules. And I do not think that we want to specify
> > buffering. A behavior in situations like scrolling for blending
> > should be specified and browser need to follow. I see that this
> > can be challenging but would be most desireabale. After all,
> > scrolling should not affect the browser experience of the user on
> > the visual side - especially for blending.
> As I said in http://dbaron.org/log/20130306-compositing-blending , I
> think there's a lot less to specify and a lot less to drive towards
> interoperability if compositing and blending operations are limited
> to things that create stacking contexts.  This limitation would be
> present if background-blend-mode and background-composite are
> dropped, which I think should be done.

the exact same issue will happen if blending applies to elements (in which
case stacking contexts are created).
For instance, an element with blending that is a child of an element that
uses fixed positioning will render differently today in FF and WK.

Dropping background-blend-mode will not solve this problem.