Re: A few comments on the custom shaders spec

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

> The section "Fragment Shaders Differences with GLSL"[1] describes the
> security steps Shaders need to take to fulfill this requirement:
>
> ""
> A normal GLSL shader requires that the fragment shaders computes a
> gl_FragColor value which is the color value for the processed fragment
> (pixel).
> Because of the security restrictions, fragment shaders are not allowed to
> access rendered content pixel values directly.
> ""

I'm afraid that isn't nearly precise enough.

> > I thought that to compensate for the lack of access to rendered content,
> we were going to allow fragment shaders to generate a per-pixel color
> matrix which would then be applied to the content. But I don't see any sign
> of that. Is that coming?
>
> In the same section "Fragment Shaders Differences with GLSL"[1] it is
> defined how to influence pixel colors.

OK, I missed that somehow, sorry... Thanks.

> Section 17.2 is totally unclear. In particular, what does "input" mean
> here? I thought the whole point of section 17.1 was to eliminate the need
> to track the origins of rendered content.
>
> In the last WD it was possible to pass a previous filter primitive result
> as texture parameter into the shader (as secondary input) under the
> condition that it is not the direct or indirect result of the pages web
> content. This requires tracking which filter primitive counts as "dirty". I
> removed it in this version. I am looking forward to add it again to allow
> generators like feTurbulence as input.

OK but the language in section 17.2 needs to be clarified.

Rob
--
Wrfhf pnyyrq gurz gbtrgure naq fnvq, “Lbh xabj gung gur ehyref bs gur
Tragvyrf ybeq vg bire gurz, naq gurve uvtu bssvpvnyf rkrepvfr nhgubevgl