Re: Utility of background-composite and background-blend-mode?

Thanks for posting that blog.

In order to specify blending an compositing throughout CSS in a way that
will be interoperable across browsers, the grouping in CSS must be
specified as clearly and with as much precision as the ordering is. This
means that everything inAppendix E of CSS 2.1, plus all the additions to it
from newer CSS modules that have not been fully tracked, needs to specify
not only the ordering of the drawing operations but also their grouping.

I think this is most important. As you mention, that spec does not talk
about grouping.
The compositing spec's assumption was that a stacking context constitutes a
group but nothing else is.

However, we now know that certain stacking contexts (only certain 2d
transforms so far) are not really groups.
The compositing spec also introduces mix-blend-mode on:

box-shadow | text-shadow | background | border | content

that will create a group (but not a stacking context)

I'm unsure if I share your concern of the drawing order.
The only way to run into these associative problems is by compositing in
offscreen buffers. So yes, we should fix the stacking context/grouping
problem but once that is fixed, it should negate this particular issue.