Re: [css-compositing] remove specific isolation behavior for SVG?

On Jun 12, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> Hi, folks-
>

> On 6/12/13 7:48 AM, Dirk Schulze wrote:
>
> On Jun 12, 2013, at 4:33 AM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> How would you define it for SVG since it has no concept of a
> 'stacking context'? For HTML, you eventually end up at the
> 'elaborate description of stacking contexts' but there is no such
> thing for SVG.
>
> You can add it to the SVG specification :) (And in fact we should add
> it to the third edition of SVG 1.1 and at some point to CSS
> directly.) However, this doesn't even matter for compositing at the
> moment. For compositing it is necessary to say that every property
> which creates a stacking context does also create an isolation group.
> And all the listed properties in Compositing do create a stacking
> context. That's it.
>
> I seem to recall that we talked about adding a simplified stacking context for SVG, along with a z-index... Cameron, what's the status on that?
>
> That's one of the problems.
> If an element with z-index creates a stacking context and it's in another element with a transform which also creates one, it will most likely not do what you want.

It depends of course, it will do the same as it does for HTML. But Rik's point is that you don't have a global stacking context. Things will be stacked within the current stacking context. You can have a cascade of stacking contexts.

Greetings,