Re: [css-anims] Play-state interaction with delay update

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 1:30 AM, François REMY
<francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I’ve been thinking about a usecase today where I wanted an animation to stop
> playing while still being able to “seek” inside the animation timeline.
>
> I was hoping to use “animation-play-state: paused” and then update the value
> of “animation-delay” to seek into the animation but it doesn’t seem to work
> as I expected (the value of the animations properties are kept frozen even
> after the delay has been changed).
>
> If we think in terms of Web Animations, marking the animation as paused is
> equal to setting its playback rate to 0 temporarily, but that should not
> prevent seek operations to work.
>
> What do you think of it? Should that be changed? Or should it just be
> clarified that changing the animation delay does not cause the animation to
> be recomputed? In all other cases, changing the animation delay 'restart'
> the animation from scratch (at the animation-delay time). My belief was that
> it would still do the same when paused, except that the state after the
> restart would be paused.

I find your assumption reasonable, that pausing the animation is
effectively just setting its playback rate to 0, which means you can
still seek within it.

However, there may be deeper reasons why the animation is best treated
as "frozen" instead.  Shane/Brian/etc., any comments?

~TJ