Re: [filter-effects][css-masking] Move security model for resources to CSP

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 2:32 AM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

> Daniel Holbert asked me an interesting question yesterday: Do external SVG
> resources (filter, mask, clip-path) behave like stylesheets? And I think
> they do. With all the restriction in place that you suggested earlier (no
> secondary resource load of the external SVG resource), is there a strong
> need to handle SVG resources differently than CSS stylesheets? As far as I
> know CSS stylesheets do not follow strict cross origin restrictions. Why
> would SVG resources need to do it?

You can address individual XML elements of an arbitrary SVG document using
SVG resource references. You can't do anything like that with a CSS style
sheet. I suppose you can try to load the style sheet and add random stuff
to your document to try to figure out what the style rules are, but that
seems less interesting.

Maybe you're right, but it requires a lot of careful thought by people with
the right mentality before I'd be comfortable allowing cross-origin
references. (We've been stuck with cross-origin CSS loads from the
beginning, and have had to deal with some ugly fallout from that over the
years.)

Rob
--
q“qIqfq qyqoquq qlqoqvqeq qtqhqoqsqeq qwqhqoq qlqoqvqeq qyqoquq,q qwqhqaqtq
qcqrqeqdqiqtq qiqsq qtqhqaqtq qtqoq qyqoquq?q qEqvqeqnq qsqiqnqnqeqrqsq