Re: [filter-effects] feBlend filter (was: Re: [css-filters] feBlend filter)

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 4:43 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > >   </g>
> > >
> > >   <g enable-background="new" transform="translate(0,200)">
> > >     <rect width="100" height="100" fill="red"/>
> > >     <g>
> > >       <rect x="50" y="50" width="100" height="100" fill="rgb(0,255,0)"
> opacity=".5"/>
> > >     </g>
> > >   </g>
> > >
> > > See the attached png for a screenshot.
> > > The intersection of the 2 rectangles looks different because the one
> with the filter is composited twice.
> > >
> > > I believe the problem is with the formulas for 'feBlend'. They
> shouldn't also do compositing.
> > > Because of this, you can't correctly implement blending with SVG
> filters.
> > >
> > > I'm unsure how this can be fixed cleanly since it's probably too late
> to change the blend formulas. Maybe we can introduce a new filter primitive?
> > >

> > I think I can see your point. Doesn't the same apply to feComposite?
> >
> > yes. An 'feComposite' with the backdrop will always be followed with
> source-over.
> >
> > Also, todays use of feBlend and feComposite is limited to blend and
> composite intermediate filter effects results with each other (due to the
> lack of BackgroundImage support on browsers). I think for these operations
> the compositing step in feBlend makes sense, even so you still have the
> compositing of the filter result to the canvas.
> >
> > That's true.
> >
> > I do not understand how a new filter primitive can solve this problem if
> you still have the compositing step at the end. Can you elaborate more on
> your suggestion?
> >
> > My issue is that the formulas for feBlend always composite, so we need
> formulas that don't do this.
> >
> > These formulas don't composite and are in non premultiplied alpha:
> > Normal:  Cr = Cs
> > Multiply: Cr = (1 - áb) x Cs + áb x B(Cb, Cs) = (1 - áb) x Cs + áb x Cb
> x Cs
> > Screen:  Cr = (1 - áb) x Cs + áb x B(Cb, Cs) = (1 - áb) x Cs + áb x (Cb
> + Cs - (Cb x Cs)) = Cs + áb x (Cb - (Cb x Cs))
> > Darken:  Cr = (1 - áb) x Cs + áb x B(Cb, Cs) = (1 - áb) x Cs + áb x
> min(Cb, Cs)
> > Lighten:  Cr = (1 - áb) x Cs + áb x B(Cb, Cs) = (1 - áb) x Cs + áb x
> max(Cb, Cs)
> >
> > For premultiplied alpha, they become:
> > Normal:  cr = cs
> > Multiply: cr = (1 - áb) x cs + cb x cs
> > Screen:  cr = (1 - áb) x cs + ás x áb x (Cb + Cs - (Cb x Cs)) = cs + ás
> x cb - cb x cs
> > Darken:  cr = (1 - áb) x cs + ás x áb x min(Cb, Cs) = (1 - áb) x cs +
> min(ás x cb, áb x cs)
> > Lighten:  cr = (1 - áb) x cs + ás x áb x B(Cb, Cs) = (1 - áb) x cs +
> max(ás x cb, áb x cs)
> > Mu
> > These formulas either replace the ones for feBlend, or become the ones
> for a new filter primitive.
>
> If we replace the formulas with the one without compositing, what would it
> mean for blending two intermediate results?

The result would exclude compositing completely. It is unclear how this can
> be done.

You'd have to explicitly call feComposite on the blended result.

> Note that feBlend and feComposite is not always the last primitive, so
> even for BackgroundImage there are problems on the next filter primitive in
> the chain.

If you want to a blend and then a blur, you don't want to composite.
(Michael posted another example of the backdrop becoming blurred)
I'm unsure what you mean with "there are problems on the next filter
primitive in the chain."