Re: [css-masking] Minor comments on Mask Rendering Model

On Apr 1, 2013, at 6:07 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/FXTF/raw-file/tip/masking/index.html#the-mask-rendering-model
>
>   # The application of the ‘clip-path’, ‘mask’ or ‘mask-image’ properties
>   # to an element formatted with the CSS box model establishes a stacking
>   # context in the same way that CSS ‘opacity’ does
>
> Append a reference to CSS3 Color here.

Fixed.

>   # The ‘mask’ and ‘mask-image’ properties have no effect on the geometry
>   # of any element's CSS boxes.
>
> This seems to imply that 'clip-path' does have an effect on their geometry.
> Is that true?

Yes, that is correct. It is explained in the section about clipping paths. I removed the 'clip-path' property from the property list at the beginning of this section to avoid confusions.

> Also 'mask-box-image' isn't mentioned in this section. Should it be?

After your comments I changed the order of the section a bit. The section in question is specific to the mask-image property. For this reason I moved it to the end of the section "Mask".

> This section is a little messy thematically. I would group the sentence
> about hit-testing with the one about geometry, and the one about
> compositing with the one about stacking contexts.

Yes, that sounds very reasonable.

> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/FXTF/raw-file/tip/masking/index.html#layering
> 5.1 Layering Multiple Mask Images
>
> This should probably be part of 6, Mask, not up in this section, which seems
> to be general to all the features in the spec.

With the exception of two paragraphs, everything is specific to the section "Mask". For this reason, I moved the section into "Mask".

> # The first layer is the layer closest to the user, the next one is painted
> # behind the first, and so on.
>
> Does the ordering actually make a difference for masks? If not, maybe
> this paragraph isn't needed.

Since the specification demands to transform all mask types to alpha masking, the order does not matter anymore. I removed this sentence.

> 5.2. Calculating mask values
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/FXTF/raw-file/tip/masking/index.html#MaskValues
>
> The title is rather cryptic to me, who doesn't study graphics operations.
> Maybe "Mask Interpretation"?

I renamed it to "Mask Source values"

> It should mention the 'mask-source-type'
> and 'mask-type' properties and how they affect this interpretation.

That is a good point. I investigate more.

> I would put a <dl> in here, and define "alpha mask" and "luminance mask"
> or somesuch, partly to create a referenceable definition but mostly
> because that will help make this section easier to grok.

You need to read "Layering Multiple Mask Images" and "Mask Source values" separate from each other. The former section is for the simple case where you reference images, the later section is for the use of the mask source (mask element).

Greetings,
Dirk