Re: Updated to the blending and compositing spec (was: minutes, December 10 2012, FXTF telcon)

Hi Lea,

thanks for the clarification!

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Lea Verou <lea@w3.org> wrote:

> I realized what I’m suggesting below might not be very clear (hence the
> misunderstanding in the telcon), so I’ll make an attempt at making it more
> concise. **Naming is off the top of my head, please don’t focus on that.**
>
> What I’m suggesting is that mix-blend-mode becomes a list that accepts
> multiple comma-separated blending modes. mix-blend could be a shorthand of
> mix-blend-mode and mix-blend-area. The latter would accept values like [
> box-shadow | text-shadow | background | element ]# (regarding the hash
> multiplier: [1])
>
> So, if you wanted to specify a multiply blending mode on both text-shadow
> and box-shadow, as well as a screen blending mode to the entire element, it
> could go like:
>
> mix-blend-mode: screen, multiply;
> mix-blend-area: element, box-shadow, text-shadow;
>
> or, by using the shorthand:
>
> mix-blend: screen element, multiply box-shadow, multiply text-shadow;
>
> I believe that’s more elegant, concise and consistent with the rest of CSS
> than:
>
> mix-blend-mode: screen;
> box-shadow-blend-mode: multiply;
> text-shadow-blend-mode: multiply;
>
> and doesn’t require more than one new property.

I don't particularly like that this forces you to always specify what part
of the element you want to blend.
Most likely, 99% of blending will just target the element and now those
users will have to write either 2 css properties or put 'element' in the
shorthand.

How about we drop the '-area' property and assume in the shorthand that no
area means that that blend should apply to the whole element?
So your case becomes:

mix-blend: screen, multiply box-shadow, multiply text-shadow;

The mix shorthand could look like this:

mix: screen source-out, multiply box-shadow, overlay destination-over
text-shadow

What do you think?