Re: Proposal: Custom Filter Effects Modules

From: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 06:35:39 -0800
To: David Sheets <kosmo.zb@gmail.com>
CC: "public-fx@w3.org" <public-fx@w3.org>
Hi David,

On Dec 10, 2012, at 3:30 AM, David Sheets <kosmo.zb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello FXTF,
>
> I would like to propose a revision of a previous proposal by Dirk
> Schulze that integrates with HTTP, URI, HTML, XML, and CSS features.
> The proposed CSS expression of Custom Filter Effects Modules looks
> like:
>
> @filter curl {
>  type: "fx1";
>  meshfn: url("/fx/curl.fx#mesh") url("/fx/curl.fx#mesh-fallback");
>  pxfn: url("/fx/curl.fx#px");
>  mesh: 4 4;
>  mix: source-in multiply;
>  parameters: identityMatrix mat3(1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1);
> }
>
> @filter curl {
>  type: "msfx1";
>  ms-src: url("/fx/curl.fx#ms-fx-bundle");
> }
>
> filter: custom(curl);
>
> You can read more at <http://dsheets.github.com/custom-fx-modules/>.
>
> I look forward to your feedback.

Thank you very much David. This is the same proposal as second one on the parallel discussion "[filter-effects] New syntax proposal for 'custom' filter function" [1] (with one detail), why I would like to discuss it on the original thread.

The detail: The fallback has the same name. I really like the idea to let the fallback have the same name. I checked if this idea would work with CSS Animations, but sadly this is not the case at the moment. The last specified at-rule must be valid on Firefox as well as on WebKit. Means the default would always need to be last. Sadly the default would always override previous definitions. I will check CSS Animations if this behavior is currently specified. At-rules should be harmonized with each other.

Greetings,
Dirk

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-fx/2012OctDec/0070.html