Re: [css-masking] Using masks and clipping to allow or inhibit selections or events.

On Nov 15, 2012, at 2:57 PM, Ian Tindale <ian.tindale@gmail.com> wrote:

> I’d like it if masks could be drawn for the purpose of defining areas in which selection is either possible or impossible. It’d make web apps act more like desktop apps, if we didn’t have the whole viewport able to be accidentally selected or turned blue by stray clicks or similar events.

This is actually not the purpose of CSS Masking. However, 'clip-path' does influence hit testing as well. Means that outside of the clipping region no pointer events are send to the element. Another possibility is 'pointer-events' where you can disable hit testing for the whole element. This property was designed for SVG, but work on HTML in some browsers as well.

Greetings,
Dirk