Specifying mask type for <mask> elements

From: Brian Birtles <bbirtles@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:44:06 +0900
To: "public-fx@w3.org" <public-fx@w3.org>
Hi,

Just a quick note about overriding mask-type. Although I haven't traced
the actual chain of resolutions that lead to this, I want to point out
that for the mask property we previously allowed:

  <mask id="a">
  </mask>
  <path mask="url(#a) alpha" ... />

But now we don't. That is, you could override the mask-type of the
<mask> element by specifying it on the mask property, but now the
grammar doesn't allow that.

You can, of course, still specify the mask type when referring to pretty
much anything else (e.g. "url(a.svg) alpha", "linear-gradient(...)
luminance", "element(#linearGrad) luminance") but not <mask>.

Is that ok or should we allow overriding mask-type?

Best regards,

Brian Birtles