Re: [css-masking] Paint server as mask is redundant

From: Brian Birtles <bbirtles@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:35:07 +0900
To: public-fx@w3.org
(2012/09/25 22:24), Dirk Schulze wrote:
> A URL on a 'mask' property can also reference a paint server [1]. This seems to be redundant to the functionality of the CSS4 Images 'element()' function[2]. I would like to remove this requirement from CSS Masking. Any objections?

Sounds good.

That behaviour predates the integration with CSS Images so it can be
dropped (especially since the prose that describes how it works got
accidentally removed when clip-paths were added!)

We probably need to revisit the paint sources section of CSS4 Images[1]
though since "Paint sources have an intrinsic width, height..." doesn't
quite seem accurate for gradients and solid colors.

Best regards,

Brian

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css4-images/#paint-sources