Re: [filters] Shading language recommendation

From: Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 14:01:35 -0700
Cc: public-fx@w3.org
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>

On Aug 22, 2012, at 11:00 AM, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:

> 4) We are concerned that including GL SL as a RECOMMENDED feature makes it an essential feature under the W3C Patent Policy. We don't believe the shading language itself is within the scope of the CSS WG charter and we didn't carry out the  comprehensive IP review that would be necessary for us to participate on that basis. We suspect that other organizations also didn't do this.

This is not our understanding of the W3C Patent Policy (in particular see Section 8.2 "Limitations on the Scope of Definition of Essential Claims", and note that whether the technology is SHOULD, MUST or RECOMMENDED doesn't seem to affect this). We suggest you contact Microsoft's W3C PSIG member for clarification.

http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/#def-essential-exclusions

Dean