Re: [css3-transforms] normalization of rotate3d() and computed values

On Aug 21, 2012, at 2:20 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-transforms/#three-d-transform-functions

> says that, for rotate3d():
>  # If the direction vector is not of unit length, it will be
>  # normalized.
> Yet http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-transforms/#transform-property

> says:
>  # Computed value:     As specified, but with relative lengths
>  #                     converted into absolute lengths.
> which means that this normalization is not applied to the computed
> value.  Given that it's not applied to the computed value, when *is*
> it applied -- and why does it even matter to say that normalization
> happens?  Or was it intended that the normalization apply to the
> computed value?
I think it should not be applied to the computed value. It might be interesting to have normalization on interpolation. So it seems either be misplaced, or just wrong. This also depends on the decision if we do matrix interpolation or numerical interpolation of rotate3d.

Greetings,
Dirk