Re: CSS Masking

From: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:23:43 -0700
Cc: "public-fx@w3.org" <public-fx@w3.org>
To: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
On Aug 11, 2012, at 10:47 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

> Hi FXTF,
> I created and published the CSS Masking specification [1]. I specified the current behavior of the '-webkit-mask' properties and integrated SVG Masking from SVG 2. The text complies to CSS Background and Borders and should be very familiar for many people. I would like to receive some comments even if it is still in an early stage.
> Greetings,
> Dirk
> [1] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/FXTF/raw-file/tip/masking/index.html

One thing I noticed:
> The application of the ‘mask’ or ‘mask-image’ properties to an element formatted with the CSS box model establishes a pseudo-stacking-context the same way that CSS ‘opacity’ does

Pretty sure is a real stacking context, not a pseudo-stacking context. Appendix E doesn't define "pseudo-stacking context" so we should probably just stop using this confusing term; the best description of what one is seems to be fantasai's recent email: <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Jul/0546.html>.