Re: CSS Masking

Hi Brian,

On Aug 12, 2012, at 7:45 PM, Brian Birtles <bbirtles@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Hi Dirk,
>
> Thanks for working on this. I made a bunch of edits just now so please
> have a look and see if they're ok.
Thanks for looking into that and fixing some issues.

I would disagree with some of your edits.

* <FuncIRI> vs <image>
I understand your concerns but actually I don't see a big problem in that. <image> has support for media fragments and we discussed earlier on CSS3 Image that they don't influence each other

* Reference paint servers as mask source
I would rather avoid special casing mask source and work together with CSS4 Image to support SVG paint servers as input there. CSS Masking is not just for SVG, but for HTML content as well. Therefore I would investigate in a common solution. CSS3 Images started that, hopefully CSS4 Images goes further.

* <child-selector> = select(<compound-selector>#)
Why is that a comma separated list of selectors? Can that lead to a selection of multiple mask references?

> One question I still have, however, is:
>
> (2012/08/12 15:02), Dirk Schulze wrote:
>>> [ <mask-source> | <mask-layer># ] <mask-type>?
>> Yes, that is the right syntax. Thank you!
>
> According to that grammar "none alpha" is acceptable. Do we really want
> to allow that?
I don't see a problem with it. No mask is applied so.

> Best regards,
>
> Brian

I did not yet specify mask-box-image yet, which has the same properties, values and behavior of border-image. It is not clear how it applies to SVG yet.

Greetings,