Re: [web-anim] automatically discarding animations

From: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 09:13:30 +0200
To: "Brian Birtles" <birtles@gmail.com>
Cc: <public-fx@w3.org>
Okay, it seems I have the same big picture in mind as you at the moment.

|  I wonder if it's really necessary to be able to set this on a per-group
|  basis. I think just specifying it on the effects timeline is sufficient.

If I create a (sequenced|parallel) group of effects/animations, making it
seekable disables any optimization on it, even if it's based on the
'effects' timeline (in my sense you don't need an effect timeline; the root
timeline is not seekable it's the child who are).

|  Unfortunately, the ability to seek items in the effects timeline means
|  that when an animation has a forwards fill, an implementations can't
|  simply optimise it down to a single value, since it's still seekable.

Also.

|  This important since some features like changing speed
|  whilst maintaining position (changeSpeed), and reversing, rely on
|  seeking. However, there is the caveat that once any child becomes
|  inactive it is immediately detached from its parent.

Those operations would not be allowed on non-seekable items. Authors who
need seekability should just choose for a seekable timeline (ie: a seekable
animation group).

|  (Currently I've called 'currentTime', 'animationTime', simply to match
|  up with animationDuration. Let me know if you think currentTime is more
|  clear.)

It's just that 'currentTime' already exists on HTMLMediaElements. I'm not
sure that a one-to-one mapping exists however.

François