Re: Mask property syntax and CSS <image>

Hi Rik,

(2012/08/07 11:02), Rik Cabanier wrote:
>        mask: url(#circleElem); // alpha
>
>     and, likewise,
>
>        mask: linear-gradient(...); // -webkit-mask makes this alpha
>        mask: url(#gradientElem); // alpha
>

> I don't follow this. Why do these 3 examples use alpha?

Ignore the first example. I think we're going to require using element()
syntax for directly referencing SVG elements as image mask sources so
the first example is invalid.

The second one, 'linear-gradient()' uses a default of alpha for two reasons:

* Because -webkit-mask does. That's not such a big concern to me but
obviously if we change this behaviour it makes it harder for content
authors who are relying on the current behaviour of -webkit-mask to
transition to the new behaviour.

* More importantly, for implementers it means that all <image> values
can be treated the same (since gradients are a type of <image> value).

For the third example, IF we decide that a CSS gradient defaults to
alpha, then I think we should be consistent when pointing to an SVG
gradient.

> I think we need feedback from designers/tool makers.

That would be good, as well as web developers and other content authors.

> I know many designers use the same outlines of artwork as a mask. My
> fear is that since luminosity is not the default and misunderstood, it
> will end up not being implemented.

That's an important consideration. However, I think all major browser
vendors have already implemented luminosity for SVG though so we should
be ok right?

Brian