Re: Interaction between opacity and transform-style

From: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:00:51 -0700
Cc: robert@ocallahan.org, public-fx@w3.org, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Matt Woodrow <mwoodrow@mozilla.com>
To: Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>
On Mar 15, 2012, at 9:30 AM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
>> Why is that surprising? opacity has always affected Z-ordering in CSS.
>
> Well, it creates a new stacking context, so anything outside can't get
> between anything inside.  That's not too surprising if you think about
> it  The behavior I found surprising here was that it changed the order
> of rendering among the translucent element's children, and between the
> translucent element and its sibling.
>
> But since you point it out, it makes sense that there has to be a
> separate 3D rendering context in this case.  Otherwise you could get
> something from outside in between two of the translucent boxes, which
> doesn't make sense if they have group opacity.
>
> So maybe an opacity other than 1 should cause an element with
> transform-style: preserve-3d to create a new 3D rendering context
> instead of extending the current one.  This is *not* the same as
> transform-style: flat, which creates no 3D rendering context at all
> per spec (although Safari seems to behave differently).

Can you explain the difference more clearly? As currently written,
the spec has no way to allow a child to be in a different 3D
rendering context than its parent, if both have transform-style: preserve-3d.
You're suggesting that this should be possible somehow, for this
opacity case. I'm not sure how that would work.

Also, what are the Safari differences that you mention?

Simon