Re: [css-filters] linearRGB vs sRGB

From: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 21:15:54 -0800
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
CC: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>, "public-fx@w3.org" <public-fx@w3.org>

On Feb 6, 2012, at 9:03 PM, Chris Lilley wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 7, 2012, 12:29:07 AM, Dirk wrote:
>
> DS> Hi Rik,
>
> DS> if it would be supported at all, you could just specify one color
> DS> interpolation for the complete filter chain, not for single filter
> DS> effects. But the default 'color-interpolation-filters' value of
> DS> 'linearRGB' is indeed a problem.
>
> Why is it a problem?
>
> DS> IIRC WebKits CSS short hand
> DS> filters use either sRGB or DeviceRGB, but not linearRGB.
>
> Ah okay, its a problem because you don't support it yet. Don't worry, the coding is trivial. I can send you the equations if you don't already have them.
Haha, the problem is the definition. 'color-interpolation-filters' is used by filter effect elements. But where do you apply the property if you use short hand filters? I assume the filtered element, but this is different to the current definition. Or it needs to get specified how you can apply different property values to different effects of the filter chain. So actually it is not important if you use 'linearRGB' or 'sRGB', but that there are two values :).

To the trivial equations: The problem is not applying equations, but do it fast enough. :) But that is of course an implementation detail and should still get considered by specifications.

Greetings,
Dirk