Re: Brightness filter in CSS Filters spec is wrong?

Hi Chris,

I got a reply from the Photoshop team:

Photoshop has two algorithms for brightness / contrast, depending on
whether you turn on the "legacy" checkbox. The legacy approach is the old
naïve version of just sliding the histogram right and left or spreading it
out linearly, per channel.

In legacy mode,

Brightness n adds or subtracts n to / from each channel, clamping at 0 or
255

Contrast spreads or compresses the histogram linearly for each channel.
Contrast +100 makes all channel values 0 or 255. Contrast –100 makes all
channel values 127. Contrast –100 and Brightness +100 makes all channels
227.

These operations can be useful for steps in analysis of images, or for
manipulating masks or in some cases for manipulating graphics, but they
tend to be horrible for photographic images, and so the first advice in
every Photoshop book for adjusting brightness and contrast on photographs
used to be "never use brightness and contrast".

The non-legacy B&C adjustments copied Lightroom (camera raw)'s original
process version. They're curve-based and produce much better results on
photographic images.

It sounds like 'legacy' mode in Photoshop matches the filters spec but it
doesn't produce good results.
I think we know have 3 options:
- use the current spec. Output is not very good + Brighten doesn't go to
white
- use the flash approach. Output is not very good but brighten goes to
white.
- get an improved algorithm, possibly based on what existing editing
software does.

Rik