Re: drop-shadow filter vs. a separate property

From: Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 10:44:31 -0800
Cc: Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "public-fx@w3.org" <public-fx@w3.org>
To: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>

On Jan 18, 2012, at 2:41 PM, Dirk Schulze wrote:

> If we would not allow drop-shadow in the filter chain, developers will just surround the content with the filter by a new div and apply the filter there. The situation gets worst if drop-shadow would be in the middle of the filter chain. User would have to surround the filtered content  with two div's and apply three different filters. I assume that it is better to deal with it in the implementation. Even eliminating drop-shadow would rarely make the situation better.

You're saying that a developer would do that if they need a drop-shadow embedded between other filters, which is true. I'm saying that I don't think this would be a common case at all, if it ever made sense. And in the cases where a developer felt the need to do it, then a sandwich of elements would not be an unreasonable solution.

And my bigger point is that it seems like drop-shadow is more akin to text-shadow and box-shadow than to filters. So why not treat it the same?

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com