Re: drop-shadow filter vs. a separate property

From: Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 09:49:20 +1100
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com>, public-fx@w3.org
To: Dirk Schulze <vbs85@gmx.de>

On 19/01/2012, at 9:45 AM, Dirk Schulze wrote:

> If we would not allow drop-shadow in the filter chain, developers will just surround the content with the filter by a new div and apply the filter there. The situation gets worst if drop-shadow would be in the middle of the filter chain. User would have to surround the filtered content  with two div's and apply three different filters. I assume that it is better to deal with it in the implementation. Even eliminating drop-shadow would rarely make the situation better.

The question is how often will people want to do a drop shadow in the middle of a filter chain? And of those cases, how many people will NEED to do it in the shorthand form as opposed to writing a markup (ex-SVG) filter? It seems to me that if you're doing something complex enough to need a shadow in the middle of a chain, you're probably ok with writing the filter in a more verbose format, and the filter doesn't necessarily expect to execute at a blinding speed.

We're trying to make the shorthands as fast as possible first, then we'll trying making the markup filters fast.

Dean