Re: [css3-transforms] Behavior on UAs without 3D support

On Wednesday, May 2, 2012, 3:21:39 AM, Simon wrote:

SF> On May 1, 2012, at 2:43 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

>> On 5/1/12 5:25 PM, Dirk Schulze wrote:
>>> 3) 3D transform functions are treated as invalid if a UA just supports 2D. In this case any property settings are rejected if a 3D transform was found. Independent if 2D transforms are included in this list as well. This gives the author the possibility to provide two different transforms. One for UA's with and one for UAs without 3D support:

>> This seems like the right approach to me for a UA that doesn't want to do 3D.  This is certainly how it would work if they were separate modules and the UA just did not support the 3D module.

>> -Boris

SF> But what about printing? Is it OK for a UA to treat 3D transforms
SF> as invalid in one context but not another?

Yes, just as it would treat, say, color differently if taking to a color screen and a greyscale printer. Or all visual properties differently, if talking to a screen and a braille device.

And we shouldn't assume that all printers will lack 3D support; some may add it later. So the media query suggested below seems appropriate.

SF> Also, if we do this, I think we also need a media query that
SF> allows an author to provide 3d and non-3d style rules. WebKit
SF> already has such a media query with a a -webkit prefix, "-webkit-transform-3d".

Do you have a couple of sentences of definition for that query? Is it a straight boolean supported/not-supported?

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG