Re: [css3-transforms] Influencing layout

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 08:39:41 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>, "public-fx@w3.org" <public-fx@w3.org>
On Monday 2012-04-23 10:17 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:
> > The first issue in the introduction of CSS3 Transforms [1] talks about the contribution of transforms to the layout. In general Β it says there could be two roles. 1) Transforms influence layout of the page 2) Transforms don't. The issue was raised by Steve Zilles [2].
> >
> > Given the fact that all browsers implement transforms in a way that does not influence layout and even CSS3 Transforms just describes 2), I'd like to remove this issue from the specification. We won't consider 1) in this specification at the moment.
>
> Yes, drop the issue for now.  We should revisit layout-affecting
> transforms in the future, but it's not a feature we should care about
> at this level.

I actually think layout-affecting transforms ought to be a high
priority; it's not all that hard to have a simple solution that
works for a lot of the important cases.

(I agree that it shouldn't be in this level, but I'm saying I think
we should try to make it happen quickly nonetheless.)

-David

--
π„ž   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org/   𝄂
𝄒   Mozilla                           http://www.mozilla.org/   𝄂