[compositing?] Blurring an elementís backdrop

From: Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 20:38:00 -0700
To: "public-fx@w3.org" <public-fx@w3.org>
One of the most common use cases of blurring I have encountered (both in
my own work and of others) is blurring an elementís backdrop. Not only
does it make designs more visually appealing, but also helps to make
text more legible over complex backdrops. This is exactly the reason why
it's widely used on native interfaces that include semi transparent
containers, such as the Windows 7 Aero enviromment [1].

Currently, authors are relying on inflexible hacks that require multiple
images for simulating this effect [2]. Even with the current CSS Filters
proposal [3], this is not possible in the general case, since filters
operate on an element without taking its backdrop into account. Perhaps
it could be added as a blending mode [4], but I think it might be
outside the scope of that spec, since blending modes seem to only
operate on pixel colors (operations of the sort result pixel color =
f(element's pixel color, backdrop pixel color) for every pixel), without
taking surrounding pixels into account.

I'm not sure I have a concrete proposal, as my knowledge is very limited
on whatís possible (efficiently) in this area. However, it's a very
common use case that needs to be addressed somehow.

[1]:
http://www.elmajdal.net/Win7/Windows_7_Aero_Peek_Feature/3-before-peek.png
[2]: http://css-tricks.com/blurry-background-effect/
[3]: https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/FXTF/raw-file/tip/filters/index.html