Re: Comma separation in functional syntax (filters, transforms)

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 19:20:34 +1100
To: Dirk Schulze <vbs85@gmx.de>
CC: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, public-fx@w3.org
On 15/12/2011 1:05 AM, Dirk Schulze wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Simon Fraser<smfr@me.com>  wrote:
>>> CSS Filters [1] is using a comma-free syntax for arguments to the filter functions. This leads to things like:
>>>   filter: gamma(0.5 0.2 0.2);
>>> I think it's wrong for this to be different to transforms[2], which currently uses commas. We have to do one or the other, not mix and match.
>>> Simon
>>> [1] https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/FXTF/raw-file/tip/filters/index.html#FilterFunction
>>> [2] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-2d-transforms/
>> This change was made at my request to match other functions which we
>> are attempting to develop in a comma-less manner when possible.
> Maybe the comma in CSS3 transforms can get optional like for SVG transforms[1]? We would get a common pattern across CSS features.
> Dirk
> [1]  http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/coords.html#TransformAttribute

To my knowledge all CSS2.1, CSS3 and CSS4 has a comma delimited value
strings when they are within parenthesis. This,

filter: gamma(0.5, 0.2, 0.2);

is much the same as these uses.

color: rgba(0, 1,, 255, 0.2);

background: linear-gradient(blue, white);

Tab, which functions is the CSS WG attempting to develop that are
comma-less in manner.

Dirk, are you aware of the parsing nature of CSS when concerning error
recovery after parsing errors. Currently this part of CSS2.1 still needs

Being optional also means optional error recovery.

Alan Gresley