Re: CSS Shaders 'filter-margin'

Hi Vincent,

> The reason we have filter margins is that for almost all the use cases we had, we found we needed them. The reason for needing margins is that you cannot figure out the proper filter regions for an arbitrary shader. While for several of the Filter Effects filter primitives, there is a way to compute what a good, default filter primitive region should be, that is not so for custom shaders, where it is not possible to predict what the author wants and what the shaders do. So from our experience, I have not seen yet how we could create the content we created without the ability to specify filter margins. This said, issue 5 in the draft captures your concern already.
The default values are 'auto'. How would browsers clip the filter results if the developer doesn't specify these values? To the viewport? To the margin of the element?

> To answer the specific questions that were raised:
>
> - problems merging the filter-margin properties and the filter element x/y/width/height attribute values. The second sentence of the first paragraph in section 4.1, says that: "If the filter property references a <filter> element, then the filter effect region defined by the element takes precedence over the ‘filter-margin’ property." I think this specifies the precedence rule.
>
> - how are values calculated? I am not sure I understand the question. The values are computed like other CSS values. Can you clarify the concern?

The Filter Effects 1.0 specification defines x, y, width and height [1] as SVGLength units [2]. The 'filter-margin' properties take CSS length values. When you compare both data unit types, you'll see some differences. Now you have some filter definitions like the following:

<filter x="20" y="20" style="filter-margin: 40vm"/>
In this example the filter-margin property takes 'vm', which is a viewport dependent relative value. It now depends in which viewport you embed the filter element. More interesting is, how the values x, y and filter-margin apply together to calculate the missing width and height of the filter size. How is it possible to determine these information for web developers? Currently this wouldn't be impossible, but still not easy.

Dirk

[1] https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/FXTF/raw-file/tip/filters/publish/Filters.html#FilterEffectsRegion
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/REC-SVG11-20110816/types.html#DataTypeLength
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-values/#lengths