Re: Dropping angle-bracket syntax for animation

On 2/08/11 2:52 PM, Brian Birtles wrote:
> For SVG tools that aren't attempting to do round-trip authoring I think
> the CSS support requirement would be easier to meet if CSS can be dealt
> with as a pre-processing step. For example, run the input through a tool
> like SVG scour[1] and convert CSS syntax to presentational attributes.

I guess it all depends on what you are looking to get out of the tool.
If your use case is to take an unscripted SVG document, and you want to
compile down the results of running the CSS cascade because you want to
target viewers that don't support CSS, then that's something you could
do, and obviously something you couldn't if you wanted to support the
CSS Animations in it if we didn't have element-based animation.

It also doesn't work for scripted documents, since you could construct a
document that behaves differently depending on whether style sheets or
presentation attributes were used.

I don't know whether this is a use case that we ought to be giving
priority, however.