Re: Filter Templates

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@adobe.com> wrote:

> > Individual CSS filters should be simple so that authors find them easy to
> use. I suspect authors will find it difficult to remember how to use a
> function with
> > nine parameters, as you have proposed.
> The parameters are optional. If you don't specify them, they will fall back
> to the default value.

That's not so easy the way you've proposed it. For example, if you want an
inner shadow you have to specify eight parameters.

Apart from that, I think asking authors to read dropshadow(10px, 10px, 3,
red, 10deg, 20px, 0.6, inner) and understand what all the parameters mean in
their positions is a bit burdensome.

Looking at the complexity of doing a dropshadow in SVG, a single function
> seems a lot simpler.

Complexity isn't solely determined by the number of characters you have to
write. SVG filters are verbose but the individual components that you write
are quite simple. The whole may be easier to understand even if it's longer
to write out than a single Swiss-army-knife function value.

Rob