Re: feDropShadow and alternatives

On Jan 11, 2011, at 9:39 AM, Simon Fraser wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2011, at 9:25 AM, Dirk Schulze wrote:
>

>>> Have you considered proposing that syntax as an extension of the 'filter' property instead? E.g filter: [<url> | <drop-shadow-shorthand>]
>> Sorry, don't know what you mean. Do you mean a syntax how you can see it in the CSS spec?
>
> I think there's clear value in having a canned "drop-shadow" filter in CSS, which is different from box-shadow in that it doesn't clip out the contents of the box.
>
> Whether this is implemented on top of SVG filters or not is a choice for the implementor.

Depends on what you mean by "canned", I suppose. I had imagined that there would be some canned SVG to use as templates, but that anyone could write their own filters to use as templates and then call them in a standard way (see my new thread from a couple minutes ago). This would not, then, require a new property name for each filter that you might want to have varying values for, and the author could write such filters-as-templates.