Re: [css3-images] Defining SVG paint servers as a CSS <image>

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 13:12:23 -0700
To: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Cc: public-fx@w3.org
On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would even be better if there was a way that you could refer to a SVG
> symbol instead of a paint server.
> We're working on converting Flash content to HTML+SVG and if the animation
> is complex, we create many external SVG files.
> The size of the SVG files is not a problem but having to do a http request
> for each one causes a lot of overhead.
> If we could refer to symbols, we could put all our content in 1 external
> file which is much more efficient...

That's theoretically doable by just targetting <svg> subelements
directly, right?

Alternately, it might be doable by a suitable interpretation of
<pattern>.  By default, I'd treat a <pattern> as an infinite image
constructed from positioning and tiling the contents.  Alternately, we
could treat <pattern> as just its contents, and leave the tiling part
to CSS.  That would be a bit more magical than I probably want to
worry about, though.

~TJ