RE: Filters spec: CSS vs SVG

I started to relax when Jeff Schiller said, in effect: "no need to worry,
the filters stuff begin talked about is only for the stuff that would be
common to CSS, HTML and SVG - the good and powerful stuff will still be
there"

But the discussion since then has left matters rather ambiguous, since, for
example at the same time that Dean and some others seem to be saying that
the good parts of SVG filters will not be gutted by the inferior HTML/CSS
stuff, I then read:

"My understanding was, and still is, that the Filters specification is
supposed to cover both the SVG and CSS use cases - ie. it is a replacement
for the SVG filters module."

That sounds like the SVG filters module is being slated for extinction? If
this is the case, then those have taken on some of the responsibility for
educating people about SVG ought to know about it!  Writing an obituary is
very different than talking about how and why to do things

David