Re: Updated filters specification

On Tuesday, April 26, 2011, 4:10:25 AM, Robert wrote:

ROC> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:
ROC>
ROC> What does this mean for existing content that uses
ROC> 'enable-background'? I doubt there is much of it, but still,
ROC> there are a couple of existing recommendations that define it.
ROC> Typically things get deprecated before being removed.
ROC>

ROC> That content would only have worked in Opera or possibly some
ROC> standalone SVG viewer

Some standalone viewer, like the Adobe one, which one or two people may have used.

The attribute also gets written fairly frequently by SVG exported from Adobe Illustrator (current and previous versions) which again, one or two people may use to generate content, possibly even putting that content on websites.

ROC> --- i.e., probably not public Web content.

Your conclusion does not follow from your data.

ROC> It's up to those vendors to decide whether and when to remove
ROC> enable-background support, I don't think it matters much for the Web.

I agree with Dean, this is a deprecation and needs to be signalled as such.

To be clear, I am not against deprecating the feature. But pretending it never existed or treating it like some vendor-prefixed experiment that can be withdrawn at will is irresponsible.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG