[CSS3-UI] 'pointer-events', Focus, and Keyboard Navigation

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:50:56 -0500
To: public-fx@w3.org, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Hi, folks-

It occurs to me that we need to address the effects of the
'pointer-events' property [1] with regards to keyboard navigation (such
as tabbing).

For example, if an author makes a particular element insensitive to
pointer events (e.g., using 'pointer-events:none'), but it is still
focusable, that will present a very different user experience when using
keyboard versus mouse.   Maybe that could be done deliberately to
benefit each interaction mode, but it may be done accidentally, leading
to a confusing or frustrating keyboard experience.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that we yoke the two properties, nor that
we add focusability implications to the 'pointer-events' property, but I
do think we should discuss the implications and see how we want to
define this.  Perhaps an informative note in the definition of the
'pointer-events' property would help steer authors to think about how
they are using this (such as a suggestion that if pointer-events are
turned off, authors should also consider making the element not
focusable, as well).

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-ui/#pointer-events

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, WebApps, and Web Events WGs