Re: How does the svg element handle CSS border and background-color?

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, fantasai wrote:

> > > I don't really know what "replaced element" means in HTML
> >
> > It's the CSS term -- that section is the part of HTML that defines how
> > HTML maps to CSS.
>
> I see. It might help to link to the definition, then. :) Although I'm
> a little concerned that this is not connecting up very smoothly.

What URL should I use to link to the definition? There doesn't seem to be
a public editor's draft of CSS 2.1 and the CSS3 drafts on the topic do
seem to be mature enough to warrant deep linking (not because of the
content, but because the links are likely to break without my noticing).

> Wrt CSS, any element whose rendering is outside the scope of CSS
> rendering rules is considered a "replaced element". This would include
> embedded SVG and MathML.

HTML tries to stay out of defining how SVG and CSS should interact since
that's a problem that exists without HTML. Whatever rules apply when HTML
is absent still apply when HTML is present. If there's any magic text I
need to include to make sure HTML doesn't "turn off" those rules, let me
know. I try to avoid saying things like "The requirements of the Foo
specification apply" since that tends to imply that there might be some
reason to believe that without that statement, they might not apply.