RE: How does the svg element handle CSS border and background-color?

> From: ian@hixie.ch
> > > As far as I can tell, HTML5 does not consider the SVG element to be this
> > > kind of replaced content:
> > > http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/rendering.html#replaced-elements
> >
> > I don't really know what "replaced element" means in HTML
>
> It's the CSS term -- that section is the part of HTML that defines how
> HTML maps to CSS.

Could you perhaps clarify why the HTML5 spec doesn't list the svg element (and mathml) as a replaced element?  Does it actually mean anything, or is the svg element specifically not supposed to be treated like a CSS replaced element?

Ref: http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-map-element.html#svg-0  Listed as embedded, phrasing, and flow