Re: How does the svg element handle CSS border and background-color?

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 23:41:37 -0400
To: Kevin Ar18 <kevinar18@hotmail.com>
CC: public-fx@w3.org
Hi, Kevin-

Kevin Ar18 wrote (on 8/21/10 11:03 PM):

> (note my explanation above) The reasoning was that the topmost svg
> element is the only "contact" with html and the only element that is
> considered to be flow and phrasing content (which it's chidrent are not).

We also have to consider HTML-in-SVG, and other similar variations.

> On the other hand if you are suggesting adding new CSS properties to
> SVG, I have no arguments. However, the contact with html was my
> reasoning for why the topmost svg element has additional properties.

Understood.

I am indeed suggesting that we reexamine and redefine how certain CSS
properties behave when applied to SVG content.  Special-casing the root
<svg> element seems inconsistent and unintuitive.

> Am I correct in that you are proposing that a new spec be written up to
> cover these issues (or a section in the SVG 2 spec)? ... and that there
> is not any other way to explain things using current specs?

Yes.

>(BTW, if you
> are wondering, all my explanations were an attempt to explain things
> without having to write a new spec -- but that's probably not the
> cleanest way to do things)

Patching the SVG 1.1 spec around this issue is problematic from a
standardization process POV, and is unlikely to result in ultimately
satisfying behavior.  I suggest we simply solve the real problem in teh
right way.

SVG 1.1 is done.  Changes to behavior (as opposed to clarifications of
ambiguous behavior) really belong in SVG 2.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs