Re: How does the svg element handle CSS border and background-color?

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 23:41:37 -0400
To: Kevin Ar18 <kevinar18@hotmail.com>
CC: public-fx@w3.org
Hi, Kevin-

Kevin Ar18 wrote (on 8/21/10 11:03 PM):
> (note my explanation above) The reasoning was that the topmost svg
> element is the only "contact" with html and the only element that is
> considered to be flow and phrasing content (which it's chidrent are not).

We also have to consider HTML-in-SVG, and other similar variations.

> On the other hand if you are suggesting adding new CSS properties to
> SVG, I have no arguments. However, the contact with html was my
> reasoning for why the topmost svg element has additional properties.

I am indeed suggesting that we reexamine and redefine how certain CSS
properties behave when applied to SVG content.  Special-casing the root
<svg> element seems inconsistent and unintuitive.

> Am I correct in that you are proposing that a new spec be written up to
> cover these issues (or a section in the SVG 2 spec)? ... and that there
> is not any other way to explain things using current specs?

>(BTW, if you
> are wondering, all my explanations were an attempt to explain things
> without having to write a new spec -- but that's probably not the
> cleanest way to do things)

Patching the SVG 1.1 spec around this issue is problematic from a
standardization process POV, and is unlikely to result in ultimately
satisfying behavior.  I suggest we simply solve the real problem in teh
right way.

SVG 1.1 is done.  Changes to behavior (as opposed to clarifications of
ambiguous behavior) really belong in SVG 2.

-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs