Re: SVG/CSS WG Effects Task Force proposal

Hi, fantasai-

fantasai wrote (on 1/18/10 1:53 PM):
> On 01/18/2010 05:01 AM, Erik Dahlstrom wrote:
>> Dear CSS WG,
>> To ensure a clear and speedy channel for communication, the SVG WG
>> proposes that we form a joint Task Force between the CSS and SVG WGs,
>> tentatively called the Effects Task Force, and that we use the
>> public-fx@w3.org mailing list to coordinate.
>
> Dear SVG WG,
> The CSS WG resolved to do this six months ago, with Doug present as
> observer (or inciter, whichever term you prefer ;)
> http://www.w3.org/blog/CSS/2009/06/23/resolutions_60
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Jun/0095.html
> So I'm not sure what else you want from us.

We don't actually have a Task Force, just a joint mailing list.  Since
that coordination seemed to be too unstructured to overcome our
independent momentum, this new proposal is more formal:

* create a charter for the scope and deliverables of the Effects Task Force
* co-edit and co-publish relevant modules/specs that described shared
features of CSS and SVG
* have semi-regular telcons (we propose Thursdays at 20:00-21:30 UTC)
where we have technical discussion and decide issues
* actively discuss technical issues on the FXTF public mailing list,
instead of using it as a forum for liaisons
* try to plan at least one collocated F2F per year (above and beyond the
TPAC)

I think the telcons (and hopefully F2F meetings) are necessary to get on
the same page, at least at first.  There is a social aspect to working
together, and this is an important step to make sure we maintain shared
goals and understand the perspectives of the other group; I'm sure we
have a lot to share and learn from each other.

So, concretely, what we are asking for is an agreement by the CSS WG
(specifically the chairs) that we will form this Task Force, and for
willing participants to join us in an initial telcon to kick things off
and prioritize goals.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Guide/1998/08/teleconference-calendar#s_3831

Regards-
-Doug Schepers