Re: ACTION-2029 - Check that integer promotes successfully to double

Nick,

Are you suggesting choosing `xs:string?` as return type, instead of
`xs:string`? Or `xs:date?` / `xs:dateTime?`.

What we suggested in the last call was to leave the function signatures of
`days-to-date` and `seconds-to-dateTime` alone (that is as they are in
XForms 1.1), rather than trying to switch to `xs:date?` / `xs:dateTime?`.

The issue with switching to `xs:date?` / `xs:dateTime?` is that backward
compatibility is clearly broken.

I assume below that the `days-to-date` function has an `xs:date?` return
type.

It's true that the following would be backward compatible:

    substring(days-to-date($nan), 1, 4)

where `$nan` has the `number` or `xs:double` value `NaN`.

(With both XForms 1.1/XPath 1.0 and XForms 2.0/XPath 2.0, the result is the
empty string.)

But the following would not be backward compatible:

    substring(days-to-date(11688), 1, 4)

With XForms 2.0/XPath 2.0, Saxon for example reports:

    "Required item type of first argument of substring() is xs:string;
supplied value has item type xs:date"

So the tension between keeping things backward compatible vs. making them
XPath 2.0-friendly remains. There doesn't seem to be a good middle ground.

Since `days-to-date` and `seconds-to-dateTime` are not very XPath 2.0-like
functions as far as date/time handling is concerned, we thought in the last
call that it would be fine to keep their XForms 1.1 signature and kind of
"park" these functions, leaving them mostly as backward-compatibility
functions. For more date/time handling, new expressions would use standard
XPath 2.0 functions (as awkward and unintuitive as they might be).

If we really want to upgrade these two functions, we could maybe expose two
different versions of these functions, depending on whether XPath 1.0 or
XPath 2.0 is selected.

What do you think?

-Erik