Re: Target attribute on submission and load element

From: Erik Bruchez <erik@bruchez.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 10:19:36 -0800
To: Nick Van den Bleeken <Nick.Van.den.Bleeken@inventivegroup.com>
Cc: Public Forms <public-forms@w3.org>
Nick,

I don't think target="new" is right. It was a placeholder for the
topic to discuss. The original request doesn't mention "new". [1]

I can see a double reason to use @target instead of @show:

- it's compatible with HTML
- it allows you to target a named tab/window ("browsing context" in
HTML parlance [2])

In other words, @target is a superset of @show.

Contrary to what the minutes say, @target doesn't seem to be
deprecated in HTML5. At least I don't see any mention of that.

So I would use @target.

-Erik

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms/2012Jul/0000.html
[2] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/browsers.html#browsing-context-names