Steven Pemberton, CWI (chair)
Leigh Klotz, Xerox (minutes)
Uli Lissé, DreamLabs
Erik Bruchez, Inventive Designers/Orbeon

* Agenda

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2012Feb/0025.html

* Orbeon Forms 3.9.1 PE final now available

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2012Feb/0020.html

Erik Bruchez: It's a bug-fix and maintenance release.

* betterForm 4.0 / 4.1

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms/2012Feb/0000.html

Steven Pemberton: They attended XML Prague and announced it there.

* XML Prague (XSLTForms and XPath, JSON/XML)

http://www.xmlprague.cz/2012/sessions.html#Compiling-XQuery-code-into-Javascript-instructions-using-XSLT http://www.xmlprague.cz/2012/sessions.html#Treating-JSON-as-a-subset-of-XML-Using-XForms-to-read-and-submit-JSON

Steven Pemberton: Many people came up to me after and said they would research XForms.
Nick van: An interesting conference.
Steven Pemberton: It was themed around bringing HTML and XML closer. Anne von Kesteren was there. He gave a talk on what he calls "XML5," adding error correction to XML parsing. A community group started up to look into error recovering parsing for XML. It was said that in the pipeline you don't want error recovery, but possibly at the last stage in presentation you do.
Steven Pemberton: There were presentations on XPath 3.0. I saw several things in there that would be very good for XForms: map/reduce, for example.
Leigh Klotz: So they have first class functions?
Steven Pemberton: Yes. It's a much more powerful language.
Nick van: Also partial invocation.
Steven Pemberton: Useful for map and reduce as well.
Leigh Klotz: It's in WD as of December.

* Variables in XForms (Review Spec)

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2012Jan/0019.html

Steven Pemberton: Any comments?
Alain Couthures: Varables in XSD 1.1 at XML Prague.
Leigh Klotz: Shoudln't we allow text content and allow @value to be optional?
Steven Pemberton: To be consistent.
Erik Bruchez: That's what we do. You can do more in XSLT because you have sequence constructors, but that becomes more complicated.

ACTION-1867 Nick Van Den Bleeken to Van den Bleeken to make var take constant child content.

Leigh Klotz: For uses like concat($quote, x, $quote).

Steven Pemberton: It's more like a constant than a variable.
Nick van: Right. For each invocation.

Leigh Klotz: We don't have types.
Nick van: The type information doesn't flow in our system, becuase there were problems. Type aren't valid during form filling.
Erik Bruchez: It's a little different for variables than for instance types. If you run an XPath expression in XSLT 2, I understand there are two aspects: it makes sure the value is exposed as the specified-type with coercion as necessary, and if not possible it throws an error. We've thought about doing this in our implementation as well. You can have select="elt" as="string" and I think that will work as if you had used the string function. On the other hand if you have as="date" and it's not a date you get a dynamic error.
Leigh Klotz: I would see it useful where you declare a variable as a boolean and later use it in @if.
Erik Bruchez: Exactly. Types add robustness. We do need to decide what to do to add improved error handling; we need to decide what to do if the value doesn't match. Is it an empty sequence?
Nick van: If you specify the type, you could already do an if inside your selection to convert to an empty sequence.
Leigh Klotz: In our pipeline language we have name, type, and default. If the type coercion fails or you get empty sequence you get the default value.
Steven Pemberton: Does anybody else implement this?

Leigh Klotz: Like this?

<var name="a" type="integer" value="x" default="0" />
<var name="a" value="saxon:try(xsd:integer(x), xsd:integer("0"))" />

Erik Bruchez: Last week we talked about picking default values. So if you have a variable and it fails type checking, what do you do? Assign an empty sequence?
Leigh Klotz: I proposed it in the example.
Erik Bruchez: It seems heavy to have to specify the default every time.
Leigh Klotz: I think it decreases robustness not to have to specify it.
Erik Bruchez: It would be good to have a mode somehow to turn on global defaulting.
Leigh Klotz: Yes, as long as it's something you turn on.
Erik Bruchez: I would say it's the same way as everything else; it dispatches the event and you can catch it but if not it stops everything. You need to decide what happens to the failing variable. If it is in a UI element, it behaves like a control.
Leigh Klotz: Another thing we have is an isVariableDefined? function. The XSLT folks don't see the need but I think with dynamic code paths we do.
Erik Bruchez: Java for example doesn't have it.
Steven Pemberton: XPath 3 has introspection; you can ask about functions.
Erik Bruchez: If variables are lexically scoped, then you can mark everything inside that scope as non-relevant and so you don't need default values for errors. If you want a default, you could introduce try/catch at the XPath level.
Leigh Klotz: We've found try/catch not to be appropriate for this condition; this is about crossing boundaries and defining defautls for pageSize, sortOrder, etc. This isn't about 24x7 running, it's a programming style.
Erik Bruchez: There's a risk that someone might think it should do that with any type of error. You're making a distinction between type checking and coercion. In Saxon you could pass the type coercion down to the evaluation. You're making a distinction between the two; how would you make that distinction?
Leigh Klotz: Perhaps the name default isn't right.
Erik Bruchez: It's fine to default, but not for type checking. We have defaults for values. That's hiding programmer errors too.
Leigh Klotz: We use it for query string parsing, so it's not necessarily programming errors.
Erik Bruchez: Scala has expression-or-value-if-null. A function might be a better solution. We can consider adding one if we're not considering adding one.
Leigh Klotz: That might work as well. So where does it leave us on type?
Steven Pemberton: It doesn't do any harm.
Erik Bruchez: It doesn't do any harm, but we do need to decide if we need error handling or errored-values.
Leigh Klotz: You mean empty sequence, empty string, zero?
Erik Bruchez: It depends on whether we have error handling. If we make changes to error handling, if you cancel the event we need to decide what happens to the value. We have three possibilities: @default (exception if none), or have empty defaults (empty seuence, "", false, 0), or unusable variables and anything depending on it marked not-relevant.
Erik Bruchez: The default-default doesn't seem to be workable for enough cases.
Erik Bruchez: So we could add @type and decide what to do about errors when we do error handling later.
Steven Pemberton: Does @type depend on that discussion?
Erik Bruchez: No. So do we want an @as or @type attribute? I think we'd be interested in implementing that.
Nick van: You probably want @as if you want to do conversion. @type implies it already has the type.
Erik Bruchez: That's the choice they made in XSLT. In Scala, you specify type but it implies coercion. It's nice because it's short.
Leigh Klotz: We shortened variable to var so we could shorten as to a.
Steven Pemberton: Could we make an interim decision?
Leigh Klotz: I'm happy to say we want types but we don't have a name or error handling yet.

ACTION-1868 Erik Bruchez to summarize problems with error handling and three options for variable type handling.

Steven Pemberton: I have two questions. I can't find where we de-reference variables in the spec.
Nick van: It's in the XPath module.
Steven Pemberton: OK. Is the value of the variable updated on refresh, as part of the dependency graph?
Nick van: If it's in an action, it's every time the action runs.
Steven Pemberton: You say it's allowed everywhere but in the model.
Nick van: If it's in the UI, it's on refresh.
Steven Pemberton: Then it can change during its lifetime. Does it take part in the dependency algorithm them?
Nick van: No becuase that's only in the model and it can't be done in the model, or it's done in an action and done then.
Steven Pemberton: Will users complain they can't do them in the model? Constants, for example? Do we forsee that as a problem?
Nick van: We'd need more research about that. Can you use them in bind? We don't have any implementation experience.
Leigh Klotz: We could add a note asking for implementation experience for variables in the model.
Nick van: I can add that.

ACTION-1869 Nick van den Bleeken to add note asking for implementation experience for variables in model.

* IRC Minutes

http://www.w3.org/2012/02/15-forms-minutes.html

* Meeting Ends