Re: ACTION-1859: Clarify "encode as text" for replace="text"

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:38:38 +0200, John Boyer <boyerj@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi Steven
>
> I couldn't figure out what you changed based on this message.

Sorry. Here:
http://www.w3.org/2007/10/htmldiff?doc1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FMarkUp%2FForms%2Fwiki%2Findex.php%3Ftitle%3DXForms_2.0%26oldid%3D3573&doc2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FMarkUp%2FForms%2Fwiki%2Findex.php%3Ftitle%3DXForms_2.0%26oldid%3D3581#The_xforms-submit_Event

> Spinning around for a bit, I think maybe you changed this section
> http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/wiki/index.php?title=XForms_2.0#Replacing_Data_with_the_Submission_Response
>
> I think you may have gotten rid of the spec fragment below that contained
> "encoded as text":
>
> If the replace attribute contains the value "text" and the submission
> response conforms to an XML mediatype (as defined by the content type
> specifiers in [RFC 3023]) or a text media type (as defined by a content
> type specifier of text/*), then the response data is encoded as text and
> replaces the content of the replacement target node.
>
> And that you replaced it with something like this:
> text: the response data is treated as text, regardless of its media type,
> and used to replace the content of the replacement target node using the
> XForms Action setvalue (The setvalue Element).
>
> Is this an accurate reflection of the change?
>
> If so, I am not sure the replacement is clearer.  The term "encoded as
> text" is saying that the XML received in response will be encoded so that
> it can become the text content of a node.  In other words, characters
> like
> < and > will become &lt; and &gt;.

I'm not sure if I agree. Those are serializations of the XML characters,
but the string that goes in the content doesn't have to be transformed,
any more than it has to when someone types a > in an input control. It is
only on serialization that the transformation has to be done.

Steven