Kurt Cagle, XMLToday
Philip Fennel, MarkLogic
Erik Bruchez, Orbeon
Nick van den Bleeken, Inventive Designers

* Agenda

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2011Sep/0018.html

* Web Workers Review

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2011Sep/0001.html

Steven Pemberton: Deadline is very soon. Web storage is not a large document. Perhaps Alain would like to read it.
Steven Pemberton: Web Workers is thread-like with message passing.
Kurt Cagle: Let me take a look at that one.

ACTION-1824 - Kurt Cagle to review for next week's deadline: http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-workers-20110901/

Steven Pemberton: The deadline is September 27. I'll ask Alain to review Storage.

* Using XForms to perform Survey Research

John Boyer: I'm writing a blog entry. You can introduce bias into survey responses by giving the choices in the same order. Randomizing choices is a standard feature. We could do this server side, but it might be possible to do this with an appearance attribute. It would be a good idea to turn this into a space-separated list of named token.
Steven Pemberton: Isn't there an argument for a function instead?
John Boyer: The most declarative thing would be select1 choices being presentational. However appearance is a presentational hint.
Leigh Klotz: The function would let you save the choice order so you could sign it.
John Boyer: A good segue. I wrote a function to generate a permutation using loop and if.
John Boyer: I wanted to have it done in model-construct-done and have it go back to the choice where my position was equal to some random permutation. The position() function changes inside a predicate; I needed context()/position().
Steven Pemberton: You create a list of numbers for a list of each length.
John Boyer: Yes, for each different list length. I had a difficult time without creating a secondary list.
Leigh Klotz: There's already fn:unordered but it's not really unordered.
Nick van: You can use count(current()/preceeding-sibling::*) instead of position.
John Boyer: I want to choose the permutation value according to the context position. permutation/value[context-position()]
John Boyer: Once you're inside the outer predicate everything inside the bracket...
Nick van: count(current()/preceding-sibling::choice)
John Boyer: Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Nick van: It is not elegant but is a trick I use often.
John Boyer: If you get the current choice node and count its preceeding siblings that lets you figure out which permutation you want.
Leigh Klotz: Tom Schnetlage told us this, I think, back in the XForms 1.0 requirements days. He also told us that users needed to be able to unset any value they set, which we can do.
John Boyer: We also need the sort function. Anybody, it would be nice if @appearance would be a space-separated list.
Leigh Klotz: I can't find anything in the minutes back to 2001 about appearance, other than it started out as selectUI and turned into appearance. I thought we discussed space separated and decided not to but I can't find it.
John Boyer: We did in CR for XForms 1.1.
Leigh Klotz: Why not use the function? Otherwise it's hidden data like repeat-index and case.
Steven Pemberton: We may want other things to use the function as well. I don't have any objection to the appearance being a space-separated list, but I don't think it's the rigth place.
Nick van: In XSLT sorting is not trivial.
John Boyer: So space-separated list and keywords. We added a compare function but we didn't add the capabilities of XPath 2.0.
Leigh Klotz: So why not just add a permute function that takes a random number.
John Boyer: And produces a list.
Leigh Klotz: Or produces a nodeset.
John Boyer: That worries me about ordered nodeset.
Nick van: A nodeset is always in document order. A sequence isn't.
John Boyer: Most implementations can't do it.
Leigh Klotz: There is an unordered function in XPath 2.
Nick van: That returns a sequence.
John Boyer: That's OK. I wanted an easy way. Nick has given me a hint to how to use it as a lens.
Nick van: Not being able to do a sequence of nodes in XPath 1 and adding sequences in 2 is a great addition. It opens up a lot of cool stuff.

* Shadow Dom

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2011Sep/0006.html

Erik Bruchez: I haven't been tracking that specifically.
Steven Pemberton: Can you summarize this?
Erik Bruchez: It's a non-declarative, Javascript API way of doing XBL, mostly with involvement from people at Google. They have a wiki with proposals at https://github.com/dglazkov/component-model
Erik Bruchez: Instead of a separate language such as XBL2, you would load components as HTML DOM and call on any element in the browser to set the shadow DOM. For exampl, load the video player component and where you have the video player element (div with a specific class, for example) and attach the behavior to that loaded shadow DOM. They have the XBL features necessary for components: events don't go through the boundary; you can include page contents (i.e., the tab content element). They seem to be aggressively working on it.
Erik Bruchez: I downloaded Chromium but haven't had time to look at it to see if they have any shadow DOM. There has been some use of the Shadow DOM in Google Chrome for input controls, video controls, to make components.
Erik Bruchez: Here is the link: http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Component_Model
Steven Pemberton: What are the conclusions?
Erik Bruchez: In the future, we might have client-side implementations like XSLTForms done using this: textarea, repeat, etc could be done using this instead of XSLT. I could use a Shadow DOM implementation for each construct. The Firefox implementation of XForms was similar. And that's what it's meant to do.
Leigh Klotz: I think it's very powerful and I hope they bring it out.
Erik Bruchez: There are some high-profile people (Alex Russell who works on Dojo at Google) who are vocal about wanting it to happen.

* @iterate

Leigh Klotz: Are we ready to write this up?
Leigh Klotz: I sent a patch to XSLTForms about @iterate but didn't know how it interacted with @if and @while.
Erik Bruchez: I have Action-1812 to do this. The @context (which we support everywhere) is done first, then @iterate changes the context. I think we apply @if and that modifies the context for each iteration, then @while.
Leigh Klotz: My simple implementation just did one of @iterate, @if, or @while.
John Boyer: What if you wanted @if outside the @iterate? For internal use you can nest action/@if.
Erik Bruchez: Code that mixes them is difficult to read; perhaps it is just to be considered bad practice.
Steven Pemberton: Do we exclude @if if you use @while now?
Erik Bruchez: It's a little easier; the XPath evaluation context for @if and @while are the same so they don't influence the other. If you have an @if you must evaluate the @if, and similarly for @while.
John Boyer: It is almost certainly true that we evaluate the @if first. If you evaluate the @while first then you can get into an infinite loop.
Erik Bruchez: The content of the action is in the context of the iteration; at each iteration the context is the current item, just as with repeat and xsl:for-each. So you need to change the context inside. The question then is if you have an @if does it apply to that iterated child context or the outer context, before changing to the current iteration.
Leigh Klotz: Do have any use cases that involve @iterate and @if or @while?
Erik Bruchez: Perhaps. @iterate and @while are more likely exclusive, but @if and @iterate could be used together with @if first.
Steven Pemberton: Then we would have to say that.
John Boyer: If an action has both @while and @if we say both must be true before iteratively executing the contained action. So @if has to be evaluated after @if.
Leigh Klotz: I guess the previous loop of @while could have side effects.
Nick van: We dropped @iterate because of side-effects involving deleted items.
Leigh Klotz: We decided that wasn't a new problem: action could have multiple delete children anyway.
Erik Bruchez: Yes, it's a not a new problem; there is an execution context.
John Boyer: ... infinite loop ...
Erik Bruchez: We have two cases in our implementation: no @iterate, and @iterate. If no @iterate, we iterate over one element. Then we check @if and break out of everything. Then we check @while and if it's false we break out of everything. So it's like an outer action with an @iterate and an inner action with an @while.
Leigh Klotz: By "everything" do you mean toplevel?
Erik Bruchez: No, only the current iteration. It's exactly like an outer action with @iterate and an inner action with @if or @while or both?
Leigh Klotz: Or we could just say that we prohibit @iterate with @if|@while and say that if you want nested @iterate with @if|@while inside then you go write that.
Erik Bruchez: @iterate is more functional. @while is more imperative. I would say you would use one or the other but not both. I would say it's ok to say that you can have either @iterate or @while, but I'm not sure about @if.
Steven Pemberton: You can write this anyway using nested elements. Or you can combine them and this is how they work. We have to do one or the other. Erik, I'd like you to propose one or the other on the mailing list and come to a conclusion. From what Leigh says it may be easier just to do @iterate alone.
Leigh Klotz: Implementation isn't hard but I don't want to lead authors to think they can control behavior by changing the order of attributes.
Steven Pemberton: Right. So Erik if you can write this up for the mailing list we can discuss it next week.

ACTION-1826 Erik Bruchez to propose @iterate combination with @while @if.

* IRC Minutes

http://www.w3.org/2011/09/21-forms-minutes.html

* Meeting Ends